"Amanda's Law" is legislature that took effect on February 22, 2010. It's a law that was designed to increase the safety of all homes in NY State by reducing or eliminating the harmful effects of exposure to carbon monoxide. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is the leading cause of poisoning death in the United States. Here are some of the provisions of the law:
- All new homes are required to have Carbon monoxide detectors hard wired into the electrical system of the home.
- Homes built prior to January 1, 2008 are permitted to have battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors.
- Detectors should be installed on the lowest level of the home having a bedroom and should be audible to all bedrooms even with doors closed.
- Contractors installing new furnaces and water heaters are required to install a carbon monoxide detector in any home that does not already have one.
Carbon Monoxide Facts
Carbon monoxide can be produced when burning any type of fuel including gasoline, charcoal, propane, natural gas, kerosene, oil, wood or coal. If any flammable material burns incompletely, carbon monoxide is produced. Carbon monoxide can be fatal after minutes or hours of exposure, depending on the levels in the air. When carbon monoxide is inhaled at damaging levels it can lead to breathing difficulties, impaired judgment and memory, damage to the nervous system, cardiac trauma, brain damage, coma and death. Everyone is susceptible, but the American Medical Association says that unborn and young children, pregnant women, senior citizens and people with heart or respiratory problems are especially vulnerable and are at the highest risk for death or serious injury. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are often mistaken for the flu and can include dizziness, fatigue, weakness, throbbing headache, nausea, vomiting, irregular breathing, sleepiness and confusion. By the time people realize there is a problem, they are often too sick or too disoriented to get out of the house and get help.