The week of October 9 is Fire Prevention week. Here are a few tips to remember:
- Keep flammables a safe distance from the stove & oven.
- Don't wear loose clothing when you are cooking.
- Don't leave the kitchen unattended when food is cooking.
- When using a wood stove, see our wood stove safety article.
- Have your furnace inspected by a heating professional.
- Replace furnace filters as needed.
- Clean the duct system and/or chimney regularly.
- Teach your children the importance of being careful with lighters and matches. Do not leave them within reach of children.
- When you use a match, be sure it is cool before discarding.
- Don't overload your electrical circuits with excessive power strips or by drawing too much power from a single outlet.
- Be careful with extension cords - they can cause fires if not used properly.
- Have the electrical system inspected by an electrician as needed. If you suspect that something is not right, consult a professional.
With all you do to prevent a fire, you may still be faced with a fire some day. For this reason, we recommend that all homes have smoke detectors (don't forget to check the batteries) and fire extinguishers (replace as necessary). Check to make sure all windows open freely, and review the fire escape plan. Be sure that everyone in your family knows what to do in a fire. Stay low to the floor (the air is safer there). If you catch on fire, stop, drop, and roll.